August 2, 2012

Fasting : New Mommy Edition

This year is my first ramadhan as a mummy. last year Alhamdulillah I got to puasa full eventho I was preggers in my 1st trimester (week 5- week 8) . Blessed wif no morning sickness plus loss of appetite. However, in Islam, ada kelonggaran for pregnant & lactating mums to not fast, even so I was determined to fast for a whole month as I plan to this year as well :)


Of course, health is the priority, so I researched some tips to fast the healthier & proper way to prevent from getting too dehydrated or nauseated. Here are some of those tips that I practice:


1. DRINK PLENTY: waktu berbuka, sahur and all thru the nite, been drinking up those fluids! (terkencing-kencing dibuatnye). 2 litres a day minimum
2. FILL UP ON NUTRIENTS: eventho memang niat nak turun berat time pose ni, but still have to stock up on those calories to use during daytime, lagipun direct bf. Tapi banyak mane sgt pun boleh makan time perut kecut kan? so I add on vitamins & other supplements as well. Must eat more fruits! (reminder to self)
3. REST DURING THE DAY: as im currently a full time stay-at-home mum/wife (until my classes resume in september) I have pushed all the heavy housework to night time (mopping, sweeping,  shopping etc) , so when I get all thirsty & sweaty I can just drink cool icy water..ahhhhh
4. AVOID CERTAIN FOODS: like in pregnancy, shud avoid those sweet foods (air gas mmg bye2) & salty foods that can make me dehydrate


Well those are some tips that I read up on & trying to discipline myself to follow them hehe. I admit, masa direct bf when not fasting pun cepat rasa haus & lapar, mayb becoz of this special month & kte dah niat nak puasa penuh, it has been quite easy. Eventho my breastmilk isn't as flourish as other lucky moms (I add on fm when fawwaz doesn't get enough) but Alhamdulillah slowly & steadily its gaining its momentum ;) yang penting both mummy & baby sihat time berpuasa kali ni.


Happy Fasting!!


No comments: